Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book #4-The Hiding Place

I'll never be able to effectively describe the impact this book made on me. If you haven't read it, you simply must. Some shy away from books that have anything to do with WWII and the Holocaust. In spite of the topic, or the era, this book is actually encouraging and uplifting in that Corrie ten Boom shared Jesus with EVERYONE, even the lieutenant at her hearing in prison. I also don't know how an atheist could read this book and still say there is no God. Well, I don't know how they can say that in the first place, but even more so after reading such an account.

If I were in her (Corrie ten Boom's) shoes, would I have done the same? Would I have taken such risks? If something like that were to happen in present times, would I be as brave? As bold? Or would I hide behind the excuse that "I have 3 children, I can't take any chances?"

I bet even before the Nazi's invaded Holland, Corrie didn't have conditioner for her hair, Clinique eye shadow, or Victoria's Secret undergarments. I admire how closeknit her family was even before trouble came, and how her parents helped their neighbors and the poor and the needy always. We barely know our neighbors!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I highly recommend this book. Not sure what I'm moving onto. Maybe The Reader because it takes place in the same era, though it is fiction. Or I may do a Francine Rivers. We shall see.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Ooo, you have to read Father Arseny. It's about a priest imprisoned in a Soviet prison camp, and is one of my favorite books!! I'll mail it to you as I'm not sure it would be in the library. It sounds very similar to the one you just read and had an amazing impact on me.

Oh, and I must say: you are tough competition this year!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love Corrie ten Boom's books. I read them years ago. Thanks for reminding me of her and her books.