Friday, January 7, 2011

Book 1-Far From the Madding Crowd

A very good story, with a very abrupt and in some ways disappointing ending. I don't think I'll be reading any more Thomas Hardy books for a while. If I had kept a notepad, pen, and dictionary next to me I could have learned at least 50 new vocabulary words. I'm talking about words that I have never, ever heard or seen before in my life. Here's one I did look up though: desultorily. It means in a random way, disorganized.

Since I was only halfway finished with this at the end of 2010 I put it on the list of books for 2011. I don't think I'll do very well with my reading this year, though. I find myself so engrossed in my book that I stay up way too late, or neglect my housechores. I also want to make more time for Bible study. If I finish at least 12 books this year, 1 per month, I'll be happy.

No comments: