Thursday, November 13, 2008

Real Quick

So today my mom took Isaac shopping at the mall. That means that during Josiah's 2 hour morning nap, I was able to vacuum the carpets, do the dishes, run the dishwasher, clean Maggie's kennel, wash her blanket, and rearrange the family room to make room for the Christmas tree. My question is: what in the world do you do with all of your kids' toys come Christmas time, when they're about to get a bunch of new toys? Isaac still plays with EVERYTHING! And what he doesn't play with, Josiah will be ready to play with soon. I don't know what I'm going to do. I am open to suggestions if anybody has some.

Isaac has been doing very well going on the potty as long as he's naked on the bottom. If he has anything on, even cotton underpants, he feels safe to pee/poop in them. I don't know how we're going to proceed from here. For now, I just have a naked 21 month old running around all day. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Christmas shopping has commenced! Since we will be in Grand Rapids for Thanksgiving, we plan to exchange gifts with Keith's family then. As usual, I have no idea what to buy for Keith's stepdad, dad, and stepmom. For some reason I find his mom easy/fun to shop for. I have to keep from spending too much on her. Everyone else, I'm clueless on. Again, open to suggestions.

I think I'm going to go bake muffins or something now.

4 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

My toy suggestion would be to just pack up some of your boys' toys in boxes by type and just put them away. They probably won't notice they're gone and then when Christmas has come and gone, you will just have to start rotating toys. Trust me, start now!

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a naked kid! Put some sheets on your couch and a big blanket on the carpeting floor he'll play on and just tell him to only sit in those places unless he's in the kitchen! He'll probably figure out that's not much fun. :)

Kelly said...

I agree with toy rotation. Box them and even put the rotation dates or seasons (spring, summer, fall, winter) on them.

Another thought too is toy donation. We plan on doing this with Madi when she is old enough to understand. Each year before Christmas, we'll have her pick out some of her toys to donate to Good will or a kid's toy drive or something. Teach her that others are in need, etc. You could also check out the church nursery and see if they are in need of some toy updates.

Can't help you with potty training, not there yet. But I would agree with the nakedness. Whatever works!

As for gift ideas, some of my standbys are books, magazine subscriptions, and gift cards.

I also tend to do gift baskets when I have no clue. Maybe a popcorn one with microwave popcorn, popcorn seasonings, bowls, and a DVD or gift card for blockbuster or some other video place. Coffee baskets are also easy, and I've done breakfast foods too--scone mix, hot chocolate mix, etc.

We also have done bird feeders and bird seed or bird suet. One year we did an amaryllis (sp?) and a pot to plant it in.

Or use those two little cuties you have and do something with pictures. Check out all the products Walmart offers to put their picture on--t-shirts, mugs, calenders, etc. You generally can't go wrong with that.

Let me know if you need anymore help, and I'll try to come up with some more ideas.

Kelly said...

One more thought with toys--you could always sell some on Craig's List, and then put that money in their college funds. I'm sure when they are old enough to understand they wouldn't mind that!