Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book #10 and the Toy Rotation System

One of the books Mary Pride referenced a lot in All the Way Home was The Truth About Diet and Drugs During Pregnancy: What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know by Gail Sforza Brewer and Thomas Brewer, MD. For me, this was more of a historical look at how doctors used to manage swelling during pregnancy. I really don't think anyone prescribes low-salt, 1000-calorie diets anymore for pregnant women who gain more than 24 lb. Apparently, however, this was quite a common practice, along with prescribing diet pills, diuretics, and blood pressure medications for what we today term pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, as recently as the 1980's. The original copyright for this book is 1977, revised in 1985. Its aim is to enlighten women and encourage them to educate themselves on pregnancy nutrition and not blindly follow the doctor's every recommendation. It also highlights the fact that physicians need not take a course in nutrition to graduate from medical school; a fact that, sadly, is still true today I'm afraid.

While this book was interesting, because I do not believe such things are common medical practice anymore, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to another mom-to-be. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me most people, men and women, physicans and non-medical people alike, know that a pregnant woman needs a balanced diet including all of the food groups, a prenatal vitamin, and should not be on any kind of calorie-controlled diet, or taking any diet pills.

Now, for the best idea I've had all year...the toy rotation system! The clutter of toys in our house was getting out of control. It was absurd. Yet, I didn't have the heart to throw away or donate any toys yet. I guess I want my kids to be old enough to decide which toys they're ready to part with, without me forcing them to part with something. They actually do play with just about everything they have. So, I decided to just keep out a few toys in the family room, and put the rest away where they can't see them. This idea actually stemmed from something I read in the Duggar's Twenty and Counting book. We have a rubbermaid container that's functioning as a toy box in the family room right now. I chose a few (probably about 4-5) toys for each of them to keep in that rubbermaid container, plus 1 "big" toy for each of them (Isaac's tool bench and Josiah's Laugh & Learn Home). I also left out Josiah's Retro Rocket (something he can ride on), and Isaac's weedwacker. Those would be medium-sized toys. The rest of the toys (the giant blow-up thing filled with balls, the Thomas the Train tent, all of the cars/trucks/buses/fire engines, etc. are currently hiding in the spare room. The boys haven't even noticed I put anything away. Well, Isaac hasn't said anything at least. They're perfectly happy to play with what I've left out and my family room isn't a disaster zone at the end of the day. My plan is to rotate toys about once a week so that they don't get bored playing with same things, nor do they "miss" any of their other favorites. They still each have toys in their bedrooms too. I am not depriving them in any way. Just keeping my sanity.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I do a similar toy rotation. I store some toys in the basement, and then bring them up occasionally. It's great, especially if we've had a series of rainy days and been stuck at home. And I totally understand the feeling of having a clutter free space. I've actually heard that kids are less stressed and more likely to play with their toys if there are less out. I will say too that I have a box in the garage with toys to donate. The happy meal toys last for about a week in our house, then it's off to the donate box (unless Madi loves it). So far she hasn't noticed anything missing, and when we are in the garage, she'll play with some of them, but is happy to leave them there when we go back inside.