Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book #11 and Exciting New Developments

A couple of days ago I finished Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. I would definitely recommend this book, or something like it, to every pregnant woman whether it's her first or her fifth pregnancy. Unabashedly (sp?) pro-natural childbirth, the author systematically reviews the medical literature and the pros and cons of almost every childbirth intervention from C-sections to IV's. While I really wasn't suprised by the information given in this book, it was a little sickening at how nonchalantly the majority of OB/GYN's handle the complications of their own interventions. Also, I truly cannot complain about the OB/GYN's I've seen in the past. Both of my prior pregnancy/childbirth experiences were very positive, but I could see a clear difference between the OB's and the one midwife at the practice, and I strongly preferred the midwife. I understand the differences between the obstetric model and the midwifery model better now. I firmly agree with the midwifery philosophy that childbirth is not a hazard to my health or a medical disaster waiting to happen, rather, that it is a natural process that my body was specifically designed for.

I'm still not 100% convinced I can do it without an epidural though! :-) I know the potential complications of epidurals, but I also know I couldn't handle labor without them the first two times. However, because my labor stopped and Josiah's heartrate immediately dropped as soon as I got my epidural with him, I've decided that if I'm already 8 or 9cm dilated when I get to the hospital this time I'm doing without. I've told Keith, my mom, and both of the midwives I'm seeing now the same thing, so they can remind me what I said when I'm writhing in pain!

Couple exciting things for Isaac...he pooped on the potty all by himself on Monday! He got 10 Smarties and a juice box, and we called daddy, Wella, Pappy, and GaGa to tell them right away. Of course, he hasn't done it again since, but I believe in him! Also, he slept in his toddler bed for the first time last night and did great! He slept all by himself all night long!

We finally sold all of the furniture we wanted to sell, and had the yard sale we needed to have, so our house is less cluttered now and we're better prepared to get Josiah's new bedroom ready and make room for baby #3! We also bought new dining room furniture (table, chairs, buffet and hutch) and new kitchen table and chairs. I can't wait to have them delivered! This will be the first time I've ever had nice, new, matching dining room and kitchen furniture!

Josiah is as wonderful as ever, waving bye-bye, clapping, blowing kisses, saying "uh oh," and doing "so big!" He'll have his one-year pictures taken next week at Penny's, followed by his first haircut! He's so adorable. Also, I finally got his medical records transferred from his old pediatrician to a new one, and we just made his one-year well-baby appointment with the new one today! I was so worried the old pediatrician wrote something bad about me in his chart so that no one else would ever see Josiah! That relationship definitely spiralled downward fast. I'm so relieved.

Keith had his yearly review last week, and came home with good news, ok news, and bad news. The good news was that he had an excellent review and got another raise. Yay! The ok news was that he will not be travelling to China in October (when I'm due to give birth). The bad news is he does have to go to China for two weeks in September AND December! One week in Japan was a little tough, two weeks in China in the final weeks of my pregnancy when I will be largest and most uncomfortable, then again when the baby is only about 6-8 weeks old will be a whole new ballgame. But I'm up for the challenge!

3 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, I missed the spat with your old dr, what happened?

Way to go for Isaac! I hope he keeps that up, but it's so very hard to do. But I am proof that eventually the kids DO get potty trained. :)

That's wonderful that you were able to pick out nice, new furniture! That's always fun!

Yikes, lots of traveling for Keith this year. You'll do fine, Meg, I love your attitude about it!

Kelly said...

I agree--what happened with your old Dr.?

I agree with the difference between OB/GYN's and midwives. Though there is also a big difference in midwives depending on if they work in an OB/GYN practice or at a birth center or do at home births. It's strange how that all works.

Oh, and we'll be praying for you during Keith's travel time! Maybe it will change again, and they'll push the December one back (oh, say, a year!).

West Michigan Quilter said...

Me too. What happened with that doctor? Looking forward to seeing you all soon.