Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Week So Far

Home improvements are moving right along! The spare bedroom (Josiah's new room) was painted Sunday, as I think I mentioned before. On Monday, I was pretty sore and tired in the morning. We stayed home all day and played outside a lot in the morning and afternoon. That evening I began painting the upstairs hallway and stairway as soon as Keith was done with his workout. I needed Keith's help cutting in the ceiling in the stairway as there's absolutely no way I could reach it, nor could I see how I could use a chair or ladder on the steps even if I weren't pregnant. He also helped me with the second coat just to make things go faster. I absolutely love the color I picked!

On Tuesday we had some trouble with our electricity going out during the day. Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I was making a roast in the crockpot. I had the roast all seared and the pan deglazed (sp?), etc., and then the power went out so I couldn't turn the crockpot on! It came back after about 45 min., but went back out again twice that day. I was able to cook the roast, and it turned out delicious. My laundry was held up a bit, had to restart the dishwasher, and since I'm great with child I don't do that well without air conditioning. But I made it! Tuesday evening we went to Lowe's right after dinner to buy all of the trim, baseboard, and hardwood flooring for the upstairs. We chose and engineered, lock & fold hardwood flooring over solid hardwood. I greatly preferred the solid hardwood, but Keith was unwilling to do the extra work of having to nail it down, nor was he willing to pay the extra fifty cents per sq ft. It is the upstairs we're talking about, so it's part of the house that really he and I only see. When we do hardwood floors on the first floor, I will insist on solid hardwood, 'cause that's just the way I am.

On Wednesday I had my 30-week prenatal appointment with my midwife. My good friend Sarah so graciously watched Isaac and Josiah for me, as my parents were not home. All went well. When she checked the baby's heartbeat it had hiccups! I never heard that before! It was kind of cute. After picking up the boys, we stopped at Wendy's drive-thru for lunch (something I NEVER do, but it was tasty), ate lunch at home, and then it was naptime. When Keith came home he immediately began installing the hardwood flooring upstairs, and I was on my own with the boys all night. We had dinner, cleaned up, took a very long walk, and then I put both of them to bed. I was very exhausted by then, so even though I told Keith I would start painting the trim last night, I didn't. He did finish installing the floors though, and it looks great!

This morning we dropped Maggie off at the groomer's for a bath and a manicure. The farm is right next door to the groomer, so we stopped for some peaches, zucchini, and onions. From there we went to the post-office, and then to my parents' to pick tomatoes out of her garden. There weren't as many tomatoes as I thought there would be though. I got a few. I did get about 5 good-looking green peppers, so I may make quinoa-stuffed green peppers soon. I've never had much luck with regular ground beef stuffed green peppers. The quinoa stuffed ones I made a while ago turned out great so I think I'll try those again. We do have an excellent hot sausage stuffed banana pepper recipe. Hmmm...maybe I'll do a stuffed pepper blog soon.

The boys are napping now. I did begin painting the trim as soon as I laid them down. I only got 5 pieces done because that's all I can reasonably fit on the saw horses. I'm going to go check if they need a second coat, or if I can take them off and paint 5 more before Keith gets home.

Gotta love home improvements!

I haven't started any new books yet. I haven't made it to the bookstore or the library, so I'm likely going to just start the next book in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

No comments: