Friday, March 27, 2009

Quick Question

Does anyone know how to properly store potatoes? Everytime I buy a bag, whether russet, Idaho, or redskin, they grow a million of those disgusting looking "things" sticking out everywhere. Are those things called ears, or spuds? At any rate, what am I doing wrong? Why do they go bad before I can use them? I'm talking about 3# or 5# bags, not 10#. I used to store them in the fridge, then I tried the kitchen counter, then I tried the pantry. I get the same result every time. Am I supposed to use them all up in a week? What am I doing wrong here?

Anyway, still reading 1984. It's slow-going because I've also been reading about Universal Orlando, Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM), and Magic Kingdom. Yes, yes, I know I've been to Disney at least 15 times, but I haven't been there as a toddler or preschooler in about 25 years. I've actually forgotten about most of the rides that are geared toward small children (like Isaac). This is the first trip I'll have to forgo my favorite adult attractions and head for the kiddie stuff! I'm looking forward to it! I've also begun a new Bible study with my mom's group called The Power of a Woman's Words. Call me what you want, but I truly love Bible studies!

Isaac is getting more molars too. I wasn't expecting that. He's also napped two days in a row now.

Josiah loves to self-feed, as he loves to put everything in his mouth. He's also echoing Isaac a lot, I noticed. It's really cute.

More next week, as we get ready for our vacation!

2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Ugh! Potatoes. My mother always kept them in a cold basement, much like the Michigan basement as I remember. We just don't have places like that any more. I've had the same problem with potatoes and finally resorted to getting Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes. They don't sprout! And are great. If you find out please share as sometimes I'd like good Russet.

Kelly said...

Mine do the same thing. I try to only buy them if I am planning a meal that will use some of them.

And well, if they aren't mushy, I just peel off the eyes and green sprouts, and cook them anyway. I know, not the best method, but it works. My mom had a wooden box called a Tater bin, and I feel like hers sprouted less often than mine do, but I'm not sure why.